By Natalie Pickering, Naturopath – Any idea what this little guy is?
This is a hatching blastocyst, an embryo ready to find its home for the next 9 months.
If you are trying to conceive or you are thinking about trying sometime soon this will be particularly interesting to you. There is so much we now know about the process of implantation that you can use to improve your chances of success each cycle when you are trying to conceive.
Until fairly recently it was thought that the driving factor behind successful implantation was embryo quality. Now that it is possible to test embryo quality using PGD or PGS we know that only 50% of genetically sound embryos actually implant and become a viable pregnancy.
So, what are the determining factors of a healthy, receptive uterine lining?
Briefly, its all about :-
- Optimal circulation into the uterus and the endometrium
- Reduction of spasming in the uterus.
- A regulated immune system which is welcoming to a burrowing embryo.
- An endometrial lining that is at least 8mm thick before ovulation.
- The lining needs to have a 3 layer structure to be receptive to implantation.
- The fluids bathing the lining should be low in inflammatory cytokines.
- Hormonal Harmony, both oestrogen and progesterone play vital roles in preparing the uterus for implantation.
- Moderation in your eating habits, new research shows that insulin resistance is another big factor in implantation success. Leptin (a hormone involved in appetite regulation, body weight and satiety) imbalance levels, too high or too low are also shown to be involved in implantation success.
- If you suspect there may be an issue with implantation there is a great deal you can do to be better prepared for your next cycle.
Tips for Implantation Success :-
- Manage stress in the way that works best for you, you could try – surrounding yourself with positive people, journaling your thoughts, getting creative, going for gentle walks, meditation, greenspace….
- Maintain healthy sleep habits.
- Avoid tight belts, waist bands and high heels all can affect blood flow to the pelvis.
- Consider working with an acupuncturist.
- There are some standout nutrients shown to be effective in enhancing implantation. In clinic I find Vitamin E, Zinc, Vitamin C, Bioflavonoids, Vitamin A, Arginine and Lipoic acid have supported many women with suspected implantation issues to achieve healthy pregnancies.
- Of course, it is still essential to be maintaining your fertility diet to welcome this delicate stage of conception.
- Continue avoiding foods with an inflammatory effect, particularly trans fatty acids found in fried foods, sugar, dairy foods and gluten containing grains.
- Herbal remedies are superb in implantation support, a natural fertility specialist can blend a carefully combined remedy to support implantation, safely reducing spasms, enhancing blood flow, supporting a dampened immune response and improve progesterone production.
- Beetroot, Carrot, Whole pineapple and pomegranate juice can also support implantation, I often suggest adding cinnamon as it improves uterine blood flow and supports stable blood sugars.
- Your spinal health is also essential. I often recommend my patients see a good Osteopath to ensure spinal and pelvic issues aren’t reducing blood flow and enervation to the pelvic organs.
- A technique I love and suggest often to the women I work with in-clinic and those I work with in my Create Conception Program is fertility massage, coupled with castor oil packs and the right blend of essential oils you can achieve amazing changes to your endometrial lining.
- Regular, gentle exercise is also very important. You will need to adjust your routine a little around implantation time, particularly if you are undergoing an IVF cycle.
- Procedures to discuss with a Fertility Specialist- A process called a Lipiodol flush has been studied and shown to enhance implantation and successful pregnancies. The endometrial scratch is another procedure your IVF specialist may suggest, studies are not conclusive this is effective but I mention it in the spirit of sharing all options so those of you who are struggling to conceive can explore these also.
As always, I am available to explore this further with you personally, just call to make an appointment on 08 9328 9233.